Amari's Reviews > All the Names

All the Names by José Saramago

Sep 10, 2007

Read in June, 2007

simply gorgeous. a story of timidity and how a tiny seed of imagination and curiosity can transform a person and his life.

i adore this one because there's no "love interest" and because of saramago's unbelievable ability to effortlessly pop breathtaking statements about humanity at the ends of long paragraphs. they seem like afterthoughts because of the way they're placed and articulated, but if everyone had a single thought like these in his or her lifetime, the world would be just fine.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read All the Names.

Jasmeet I share in common most of your thoughts about this book. This is probably my favourite Saramago book. And you put it perfectly. I feel exactly the same about the author's "ability to effortlessly pop breathtaking statements about humanity".
I think books like All the Names, The Double, Ricardo Reis bring the best out of the author. Truly literary masterpieces.

message 2: by May (new) - rated it 3 stars

May "a story of timidity and how a tiny seed of imagination and curiosity can transform a person and his life." well put!

Lisa Beautifully said!

Amari Thank you all! How kind.

Kurt Gottschalk nicely put, although there is of course a love interest. we just never get to meet her.

message 6: by Kulwant (new)

Kulwant Grewal to pursue in the alleyway an unknown phenomena out of compulsion is as close as pursuing a question" why do i exist"

Kurt Gottschalk true enough, but (assuming your comment is in response to the presence of a love interest) our hero spends time in her bedroom filled with a rush of nervous exuberance. he doesn't know her so it is love in the abstract, but it is clearly romantic/sexual (or as the Greeks would say, ἔρως or eros).