Rachel Jones's Reviews > The Canon: A Whirligig Tour of the Beautiful Basics of Science

The Canon by Natalie Angier

Jul 09, 09

bookshelves: i-gave-up
Read in July, 2009

Hmmm....I didn't like this as much as I thought I was going to, and didn't actually finish it. I love science so I thought this would be a no-brainer. She arranges the chapters in Physics, Astronomy, Thinking Scientifically, Molecular Biology, etc., which I did like. But I don't feel as if I learned anything.

The author describes scientific theories and processes with metaphors and examples that don't make sense to me, I can't "picture" most of the scenarios she writes about. Maybe this book is better if you have a more in-depth knowledge of the sciences.

And, the most annoying thing is she writes like a magazine author, where sentences are constructed of 2 facts, and one statement that is so absurd you are supposed to giggle to yourself and think, Natalie Angier, what a wacky and witty writer you are! Example, p.94:

"What distinguishes a fundamental force of nature from the more familiar, frightening forces of nature, like hurricanes, earthquakes, Donald Trump's hairpiece?"

Imagine these hardy-har-har ism's on every page, in every paragraph, over and over and over. Vomit.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Canon.