Joanne's Reviews > The Forsyte Saga

The Forsyte Saga by John Galsworthy

Jun 17, 2009

Read in June, 2009

This book is noted for being a Masterpiece Theatre presentation. Although I never saw the series (a co-worker said it was wonderful), this novel is truly a masterpiece. The story starts with the Forsyte Family in 1886 and ends in 1920 following the generations of a family noted for acquiring “property” and not just in the homestead fashion. Complex themes demonstrate different generations and what is important to their lifestyle. There are marriages, forbidden love, adultery, problem spouses, divorce, births, deaths, sense of honor and duty, homes, horses, art and English lifestyle at the turn of the century. The novel was written to include three books: Man of Property, In Chancery and To Let with two interludes in between. The first book was written in 1905 and in the beginning I found the dialogue is difficult to digest, but it gets easier to read. One of my favorites sections is Indian Summer of a Forsyte with the focus on Old Jolyon the family patriarch. It’s a long read, but well worth the time invested.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Forsyte Saga.