Mark Victor Young's Reviews > God is Not Great: How Religion Poisons Everything

God is Not Great by Christopher Hitchens

Jul 02, 09

bookshelves: top-ten-most-influential, favourites
Read in January, 2009

The book that tells you it is okay to not be a believer. There have been many of us throughout the ages and we've done a lot of good in the world. Christopher Hitchens is wicked smart about history, science, politics and yes, religion. The way he ties things together to cast them in a new light makes you think of religion as something altogether more ominous than the harmless fantasy or series of parables you might have come to believe it to be.

"God is not Great" shows the damaging effects of all religions throughout history and into current events, of course, and at the same time the positive impact of the many atheists down through the ages. With chapter titles like "Is religion child abuse?" you can't help but be intrigued at where he's going. The word "Poisons" in the title gives you the clue right off the bat that this is part polemic and there'll be some fighting words. But so intelligent and well-written that I think even believers will be lead to question some of their "beliefs."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read God is Not Great.

Quotes Mark Liked

Christopher Hitchens
“The Bible may, indeed does, contain a warrant for trafficking in humans, for ethnic cleansing, for slavery, for bride-price, and for indiscriminate massacre, but we are not bound by any of it because it was put together by crude, uncultured human mammals.”
Christopher Hitchens, God is Not Great: How Religion Poisons Everything