Melody's Reviews > The Farthest Shore

The Farthest Shore by Ursula K. Le Guin

Sep 10, 2007

Read in November, 2015

I don't know where to start. Many of my favorite Le Guin aphorisms are from this book. I realized this time through that when I tell people to read A Wizard of Earthsea, I mean for them to read until the glorious ending of this book. I mean for them, like me, to start welling up four chapters from the end, cry the rest of the way through, and close the book, put their heads down and weep for us all.

All of which is to say, this book is a Taoist masterpiece. A transcendent paean to the frailty and the glory which is humanity. And a reverent nod to dragonkind. Kalessin, oh, how he (she?) makes me catch my breath with wonder. The people of the open sea stir my imagination, and Arren's love for Ged magnifies my own heart.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Farthest Shore.

Quotes Melody Liked

Ursula K. Le Guin
“This is. And thou art. There is no safety. There is no end. The word must be heard in silence. There must be darkness to see the stars. The dance is always danced above the hollow place, above the terrible abyss.”
Ursula K. Le Guin, The Farthest Shore

Ursula K. Le Guin
“And though I came to forget or regret all I have ever done, yet I would remember that once I saw the dragons aloft on the wind at sunset above the western isles; and I would be content.”
Ursula K. Le Guin, The Farthest Shore