Melody's Reviews > Betsy in Spite of Herself

Betsy in Spite of Herself by Maud Hart Lovelace

Aug 08, 2015

bookshelves: comfort-read, favorites
Read in August, 2015 , read count: 50

8/2015 I came to this book for comfort but found a mirror instead.

9/2012 Oh, Betsye! Sophomore year, Betsy learns a lot about being true to herself. There are tantalizing glimpses of Joe Willard here, and this time through the whole Grand Opera bit made me cry. But now I have to read Betsy Was a Junior and that's the hardest one for me.

12/2009 Betsy is a sophomore here, and though she learned some important lessons her freshman year, she is certainly not finished tripping herself up. She gets an opportunity, about half-way through the book, to spend Christmas in Milwaukee with Tib. She chooses to use this time to re-invent herself, but we as readers are privileged to be immersed in the uniquely German holiday customs of the early part of the last century. It's a brilliant bit of writing, and never fails to transport me utterly. Again, I never noticed until I was grown what an incredible writer Lovelace is. She captures adolescence so perfectly!
3 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Betsy in Spite of Herself.

Wendy Expand on Grand Opera, please.

Melody When Mr. Ray brings out the tickets with a flourish, and Julia cries. Because he's doing the selfless thing and giving her what she needs even though he knows it will only make it clearer that Deep Valley is not her native heath.