Kate's Reviews > Bound by Your Touch

Bound by Your Touch by Meredith Duran

Jul 13, 09

bookshelves: historical-romance
Read in June, 2009

Many people have raved about this book, I am merely one of them. This was probably the most anticipated book - for me - of the summer.

***SOME SPOILERS POSSIBLE - read at your own risk***

Lydia is a bookish spinster, a "bluestocking", who assists her father in raising funds for his archaeological expeditions. Society alternately pities and scorns her. But James, Viscount Sandburne, is intrigued by what lays beyond her stiff exterior - because he finds himself very very attracted to Lydia, even though he thinks she may be involved in a plot with his father. It turns out that Lydia's father is the one everyone's eyes are on, and now he has to earn her trust before she risks her life protecting her family.

Ms. Duran explores a lot of deep issues - what is faith? Is it a gift, or something one earns? How about love? These two clearly enjoyed getting under each others' skin, but when they come to realize their love it is at first with a grave understanding that nothing is going to be simple anymore. And then they embrace the joy after they each go through tremendous pain - and this is the best - ON THEIR OWN. In fact, hers is still continuing when the final chapter finishes! Some would say that denies them their HEA, but I strongly disagree. Part of HEA is being with each other through incredibly difficult times.

The writing itself is beautiful. I love the way Duran seamlessly weaves the character's thoughts into her narration. It is so easy to see when we are in James' thoughts and then Lydia's. And she likes to leave you wondering sometimes.. to which I have no objections. :)

Well done, Ms. Duran!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bound by Your Touch.

06/30/2009 page 1
0.29% "Most anticipated book (by me) of summer!"
06/30/2009 page 6
1.73% "And I'm already crying. Dear lord.."
06/30/2009 page 280
80.92% ""You understand me then." He nodded once. "I do. I am done with you Lydia" - NOOOOOOO"
show 1 hidden update…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Jocelyn Zombie I totally agree re: loving the pain they go through independantly. Did you notice that they didn't even talk to each other about some of those things in the text? I love that she never explained that she's so prickly because of Sophie and George's marriage. I love that he didn't explain how or why he was able to be okay with his father again. I've got faith that those things would come to light after the book was over, but I'm delighted that the author trusted the readers and the characters enough not to show those scenes.

(FYI, I clicked into your profile to get good book recommendations, and we live in the same town! If you'd like to borrow my copy of the new Julia Quinn, let me know.)

Kate Wow, I didn't notice that, Jocelyn, but now that you mention it, it is probably one reason why I loved them so much. :) How cool to discover nearby people on Goodreads! Thanks for the offer re: the new Julia Quinn - my mom has a copy that I am borrowing once she is finished. A shame I'm moving to Illinois - it would be cool to start up a mini book club in the East Bay. :)