Karla's Reviews > The Gargoyle

The Gargoyle by Andrew Davidson

Profound vivid writting, not for the faint of heart or those with a weak stomach. Although it would be a shame to not at least try to read through the grapic parts and miss out on the journey.
I was disturbed by the images that were so unbelievably realistic it is a strong book that drug me though Medievel Germany, Ancient Japan, Victorian England, Medievel Italy, Viking-era Iceland, present day as well as the imagiry of the bowels of Hell. All this merged together to make an amazing novel.
Captivating from the first sentence. The narrator suffers a life threating car accident that leaves him with burns all over his body. While in the hospital recovering and contemplating suicide he meets a psych ward patient named Marrianne Engel she is a sculptress of gargoyles that she claims to release from the stones that call out to her and gives them one of her 1000 hearts she recieved from God. She claims to have meet and had a life with him over 700 years ago and has been looking for him all this time. She shares many stories that are beautiful in themselfs as well as their own personal story of their life together. The question is should he believe her to be insane or are these unbelieveable stories really true??
This is a book you have to finish to truely admire. If you give up you well never know how all the stories told come together and when it does WOW! this book was packed full of history, love, recovery, sacrifice, redemtion, friendship, adventure and new beginnings. I must give this a solid 5 star rateing.
9 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Gargoyle.

Quotes Karla Liked

Andrew Davidson
“Didn't anyone ever tell you that the mouth is the front gate of all misfortune?”
Andrew Davidson, The Gargoyle

11/02/2009 page 62
13.33% "Accidents ambush the unsuspecting,often violently,just like love. (What a strong beginning there)"
11/03/2009 page 138
29.68% 3 comments
11/04/2009 page 209
44.95% ""If you're going through hell.....keep going." Good advise I'd say" 2 comments
11/05/2009 page 266
57.2% "Um....Crispy Critter"
11/06/2009 page 366
78.71% 2 comments

Sarah I just picked up the audio recording of this book at the library today! I am going to start it hopefully tomorrow or the next day, once I finish listening to Sacred Hearts. Can't wait! How are you liking this book so far?

Karla I've marked several places of great quotes I loved. Early on in the book there are some yucky gore that is explained vividly. I have a strong stomach so I just read through. I'm very captivated now amazing debut!

Lisa I really wanted to love this book--I thought the writing itself was great. But I got so tired of having the fact that the narrator has lost his privates in the fire pounded into my head. I just kept thinking "I get it already, move on!"

Sarah I REALLY wanted to read your review, but refrained when I saw the spoiler alert. Your five-star review says it all. I'm about 100 pages in and I'm lovin' it so far.

Karla I got to a point I almost wanted to throw it across the room and stomp on it! Then I read through and realized that part was important to the voice of the book and critical to makeing the book whole.

Sarah Okay, so if I get to that part I'll know to keep reading.

Karla LOL! Yes you can do it! I'll be your reading cheerleader....giggle-giggle

message 8: by Karla (last edited Nov 10, 2009 06:38AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Karla I think that it might also have something to do with why i liked it so much to. Sounds twisted I know, but if it made me feel that passionate. It hit a nerve and very few books go there. It well haunt me!

Tressa Great review, Karla. This is one of the best books of 2008. IMO, THE best.

Karla I really want to read Crouch's Abandon after your referal! You have found some gem here. so I'll happily follow your book advise!

Tracy I just picked this book up today. Can't wait to start it! I'm like Sarah, I wanted to read your review, but had to stop myself! :)

message 12: by Karla (last edited Aug 26, 2010 06:33AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Karla LOL...I didn't give too much away but I like to start a book without knowing any hype about it with a clear head so to speak. Hope you like it as well ;)

Tressa Yes, please read Abandon! Can't promise you'll enjoy it as much as Gargoyle, but I loved it just as much but in a different way. Andrew Crouch is one of those males who can write from a woman's POV, much like Davidson and Hosseini.

Miss GP Great review, Karla! I'm glad you liked it. It's one of my all-time favorites.

jennbunny Byrkit This is my number one favorite book!

Karla Thanks GP that means a lot coming from you! I understand Jennbunny its an unforgettable story. I have this book in my favorites bookshelf. That is my profile pic! The Gargoyle has never moved off that shelf its a solid rate for me.

Glenda Love your review! Ijust finished and don't know where to even start with mine! So many thoughts.