Milli's Reviews > The Unbearable Lightness of Being

The Unbearable Lightness of Being by Milan Kundera

Apr 07, 12

bookshelves: favorites, 2012
Read from March 30 to April 07, 2012

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Unbearable Lightness of Being.

Quotes Milli Liked

Milan Kundera
“loves are like empires: when the idea they are founded on crumbles, they, too, fade away.”

Milan Kundera
“Does he love me? Does he love anyone more than me? Does he love me more than I love him? Perhaps all the questions we ask of love, to measure, test, probe, and save it, have the additional effect of cutting it short. Perhaps the reason we are unable to love is that we yearn to be loved, that is, we demand something (love) from our partner instead of delivering ourselves up to him demand-free and asking for nothing but his company.”
tags: love

Milan Kundera
“She had an overwhelming desire to tell him, like the most banal of women. Don't let me go, hold me tight, make me your plaything, your slave, be strong! But they were words she could not say.

The only thing she said when he released her from his embrace was, "You don't know how happy I am to be with you." That was the most her reserved nature allowed her to express.”

Milan Kundera
“Love is a battle," said Marie-Claude, still smiling. "And I plan to go on fighting. To the end."
Love is a battle?" said Franz. "Well, I don't feel at all like fighting." And he left.”