Amy (amyb2332)'s Reviews > 'Salem's Lot

'Salem's Lot by Stephen King

Jun 29, 09

bookshelves: 2009-audiobooks, audiobook, horror
Read in June, 2009

This was my very first Stephen King book and overall I really enjoyed the book. I had pretty high expectations because some girls on my online book club really love SK. I have to say that for the most part, my expectations were met!

The one thing that surprised me was that I had expected the story to be a lot scarier. It was creepy in parts but not very gruesome. I've read other mysteries or true crime books that grossed me out much more. And I think part of the lack of scaryness was my fault or at least can be blamed on how I read (listened) to this book. I could see the story being much scarier if I had read it, as normally I read books at night after my husband goes to bed. But I listened to this book and I listen to books on my morning walk with the dog, on my commute, and at work, all times where the sun is fully shining!

Some things I liked about the book:
The characters - they were so detailed and I loved how all the information in the beginning that seems like too much info comes together in the end. I loved really knowing the characters, all of them I felt some connection to.

The Town - I think the setting is what made the book so good for me! I could imagine this happening in my town.

The audiobook versions includes an Introduction by Stephen King! I loved that I got to hear SK introduce his own book. I liked his stories and how he set it all up. That really made the audiobook worth it in my opinion.

1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read 'Salem's Lot.

Comments (showing 1-1)

dateUp_arrow    newest »

Gail (myJunegirls) Glad you enjoyed it. I think people associate SK with gore- but that is not what he is about at all. I agree that you probably would have "felt" more reading the book than listening to it. But glad you liked it!