Ben's Reviews > Talk Talk

Talk Talk by T.C. Boyle

Jun 17, 09

Read in June, 2009

The exposition's a bit weak, and that leaves one questioning from the start the reality of a work that is trying to explore how people manufacture their own realities (and then how those realities clash with the realities of others). On that level the thing felt unfinished; the necessary work hadn't been done, but you could see how with a bit more polishing it would have been delicious all the way through.

Whenever I suspended my disbelief for five minutes, a puppet string would be left showing or some aspect would seem make-believe or put on to achieve some higher authorial purpose. That was frustrating. But said higher purpose--which included a somewhat rudimentary philosophical exercise, and a much more robust but only flimsily-veiled showcase for the author to show off and revel in his love of language--was entertaining.

Some degree of concern for these characters and their well being, and full enjoyment of how this guy puts words through their paces, meant I finished this a lot faster than usual for me. Took just a few days. As the trope goes, I couldn't put it down.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Talk Talk.