Tobias Taylor's Reviews > The Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy

The Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy by Douglas Adams

Jun 17, 2009

bookshelves: own, science-fiction, favourites, sf-masterworks
Read from September 11 to 23, 2011

DON'T PANIC but what a book!

From crazy things like the 'Pan Galactic Gargle Blaster' and 'Brockian Ultra Cricket' to normal things like dolphins leaving messages to the world that say things like 'So long, and thanks for all the fish' this book is unique. Douglas Adams manages to use language in such a different way to all other authors.

This book is so random it's hilarious

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy.

Quotes Tobias Liked

Douglas Adams
“For instance, on the planet Earth, man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time. But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.”

Douglas Adams
“Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”

Douglas Adams
“So long, and thanks for all the fish.”

“Don't Panic.”

Douglas Adams
“Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.”

Douglas Adams
“The ships hung in the sky in much the same way that bricks don't.”

Douglas Adams
“This must be Thursday,' said Arthur to himself, sinking low over his beer. 'I never could get the hang of Thursdays.”

Douglas Adams
“Space is big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist's, but that's just peanuts to space.”

Douglas Adams
“He felt that his whole life was some kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.”

Douglas Adams
“Would it save you a lot of time if I just gave up and went mad now?”

Douglas Adams
“One of the things Ford Prefect had always found hardest to understand about humans was their habit of continually stating and repeating the very very obvious.”

Douglas Adams
“You know," said Arthur, "it's at times like this, when I'm trapped in a Vogon airlock with a man from Betelgeuse, and about to die of asphyxiation in deep space that I really wish I'd listened to what my mother told me when I was young."
"Why, what did she tell you?"
"I don't know, I didn't listen.”

Douglas Adams
“If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.”

Douglas Adams
“So this is it," said Arthur, "We are going to die."
"Yes," said Ford, "except... no! Wait a minute!" He suddenly lunged across the chamber at something behind Arthur's line of vision. "What's this switch?" he cried.
"What? Where?" cried Arthur, twisting round.
"No, I was only fooling," said Ford, "we are going to die after all.”

Douglas Adams
“I'd far rather be happy than right any day.”

09/23/2011 page 155