AngieA's Reviews > Eight Cousins

Eight Cousins by Louisa May Alcott

Jun 16, 09

bookshelves: classics
Read in June, 2009

"Eight Cousins" by Lousia May Alcott is one of my all time favorite books and I try to read it every couple years. The story of an orphaned teen girl(Rose Campbell) who comes to live with her maiden aunts and bachelor uncle is overwhelmed by the presence of 7 male cousins who all live within walking distance. We follow them for a year as bachelor Uncle Alec raises Rose in a healthy, happy environment. Rose "adopts" the housemaid, Phoebe, who can sing like a lark. Rose also exerts her influence on her cousins. Alcott uses the characters in this story to gently put forth the educational and social agenda of her father and other social reformers of her time. Uncle Alec's chief complaint consisted of children growning up too fast and not being allowed to be children. Something we could learn from today. I think this book ranks classic status because of it's timeless values and interesting characters. Each of the eight cousins has a distinct personality and reacts in interesting ways. Each of the boys' mothers also is distinct and their parenting styles are taken to task. We all know moms like each of these aunts and recognize the children that spring from them. I always read "Eight Cousins and "Rose in Bloom" one after the other.
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Eight Cousins.