Jake's Reviews > I Don't Want to Talk About It: Overcoming the Secret Legacy of Male Depression

I Don't Want to Talk About It by Terrence Real

1995871
Jun 16, 2009

bookshelves: non-fiction
Read in January, 2003

As happens with lots of college students, there came that point where I needed to talk to someone. It wasn’t just that I was in over my head, it was that I didn’t care and didn’t plan on getting better. On my second try, I found a therapist who was a good fit for me. She had a different background and a different perspective. In addition to being great to talk to, she pointed me towards some helpful literature. Easily the most beneficial thing she had me read was this book, I Don’t Want To Talk About it: Overcoming the Secret Legacy of Male Depression.

It’s not so much that men suffer something women don’t, or more of it. It’s that the book zeros in on men. Mr. Real comes at the issue understanding personally what it means to be a man, for better and worse, in modern society. He writes with empathy and with expertise. And he isn’t blindly optimistic. He shares examples of depression sufferers who don’t get better too. But the prevailing message is one of practical hope. What I took away from reading this book is that it’s not about some frantic and futile quest for bliss. It’s about achieving a stable temperment and realistic perspective, and then bravely struggling on with this thing called life.

I’m grateful for the book, the author, and the therapist who recommended it to me. It helped.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read I Don't Want to Talk About It.