Kate's Reviews > Ballads of Suburbia

Ballads of Suburbia by Stephanie Kuehnert

1914270
Jan 19, 12

bookshelves: young-adult, signed-by-author
Recommended for: All young adults, and those adults who are still young at heart
Read from January 11 to 19, 2012 — I own a copy

It's truly amazing that any of us survive our teen years.

I really liked Stephanie's first book:I Wanna Be Your Joey Ramone, so when she came out with this one, I knew I was going to have to read it.

I'm really glad I did because she deals with a lot of young adult issues that don't really get talked about, until it's too late: drugs, addiction, overdoses, death, suicide, cutting, pregnancy, abusive/controlling relationships,rumors and backstabbing. These are the dark tales/ballads of what a lot of teenagers go through trying to figure out the complexities of themselves, as well as, the complexities of life itself.

Stephanie doesn't sugar coat and there are no happy endings, but she expertly lays out these heartbreaking stories to be looked at and examined in such a way, that brought back memories of my own tragic teenagedom and made me feel glad that I survived. I'm looking forward to writing my own personal ballad, so thanks Stephanie for the inspiration!

Also, as both books have shown, Stephanie is all about the music: Johnny Cash, PJ Harvey, Smashing Pumpkins, Social Distortion, Screeching Weasel, Rancid, Nine Inch Nails, The Ramones, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Tool, Alice In Chains, Rise Against, and The Distillers all make appearances throughout the book and can also be found on her website: www.stephaniekuehnert.com, as part of the awesome 'official' sound track for this well done book that every young adult should read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ballads of Suburbia.

Quotes Kate Liked

Stephanie Kuehnert
“It's the ballads I like best, and I'm not talking about the clichéd ones where a diva hits her highest note or a rock band tones it down a couple of notches for the ladies. I mean a true ballad. Dictionary definition: a song that tells a story in short stanzas and simple words, with repetition, refrain, etc. My definition: the punk rocker or the country crooner telling the story of his life in three minutes, reminding us of the numerous ways to screw up.”
Stephanie Kuehnert, Ballads of Suburbia

Stephanie Kuehnert
“A lot of ballads are about the mistakes we inevitably make while trying to figure out how to live our lives.”
Stephanie Kuehnert, Ballads of Suburbia

01/12/2012 page 30
01/14/2012 page 116
34.0% "A lot of ballads are about the mistakes we inevitably make while trying to figure out how to live our lives."
01/17/2012 page 217
63.0% "After my family disintegrated,I lived my life as loud, fast, and angry as the music I listened to. The songs I adored warned me about addiction and love that was no good. But I didn't care what happened in the long run. I focused on escaping the pain one night at a time."