Books and Literature for Teens's Reviews > White Sands, Red Menace

White Sands, Red Menace by Ellen Klages

Jun 16, 09

bookshelves: historical-fiction, realistic-contemporary, young-adult, 1900s, wwii
Read in February, 2009

Courtesy of B.L.T Reviews:

Though I didn't read the first book first (The Green Glass Sea), I'm glad I didn't. Who knows, if I hadn't picked up the second book because: 1# there's not many books about life after WWII; 2# it took place in Alamogordo, New Mexico, I may have not ever gotten to meet Dewey and Suze.

It was fun reading about the 40s with it's first Harley Davidson gangs, old movies, slang words of the era, the first TVs, and the inside scoop on the missiles being tested out on the White Sands Missile Range.
This book will make you look for the nearest Drug Store that sells old fashion sodas!
Dewey and Suze are two average girls (with the exception of "bomb scientist" parents): one's the artsy string bean and the other is the "whiz kid". Having The Wall gave the book a great whimsical fling to it. (Dewey and Suze literally built a entire wall with moving gizmos, levers, pulleys, a diorama of the Alamogordo fair, and other movable objects.) I definitely recommend reading this book-wether or not you've read the first one.

-Alamogordo Now-

Alamogordo hasn't changed much (I pass through there often since I live in NM), just a little newer. The school for the blind is still there, so is the scrap yard that's mentioned in the book (it's three times as bigger now and filled with old cars), and the Missile Range is as active as ever.
There is no "Little Chihuahua" anymore, but since the German Military Base was founded, there has been hundreds of German moving in. So many, that there is now a "German" side of Alamogordo that you can't even set a toe in.
Well there you have it. The past and present history of Alamogordo, NM. Now, you need to get a better taste of it through Ellen Klages White Sands, Red Menace!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read White Sands, Red Menace.

message 1: by Gina (new) - added it

Gina Why are you glad you didn't read the first one? You's the better one and begins the story to this sequel.