Emily's Reviews > House

House by Frank E. Peretti

Jun 16, 2009

Read in June, 2009

Written by Dekker & Peretti, it's more Dekker than Peretti, and hints of Stephen King's The Shining. Two couples are stranded on a lonely rural highway and take refuge in a house that turns out to be... haunted? ...The playing ground for a serial murderer?....There are House Rules, and there are similarities to "Lord of the Flies" and even the TV show "Lost" as far as the examination of human nature when pushed to the limit and the use of supernatural/spiritual events, and I'm warning you now that you will read most of this book with your eyebrows furrowed and a confused look on your face. It's what I think of as a "smart people's book." NOT light reading. It's extremely clever, wonderfully symbolic, and if you persevere to the last chapter where all is finally resolved and explained, you will have such an epiphany of an AHA moment that it will all be totally worth it. I have already decided it is going to be required reading for both of my daughters. My older daughter, 14, read the book and also could not put it down and highly recommends it. Her advice to you is don't read it at night!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read House.