Alex Ginsberg's Reviews > Salonica, City of Ghosts: Christians, Muslims and Jews 1430-1950

Salonica, City of Ghosts by Mark Mazower

M_50x66
Nov 09, 09

Read in June, 2009

An amazing look at a city in a time and a place I knew next to nothing about. What is now called Thessaloniki, the second-city of an almost entirely Christian and ethnically homogenous country, was once Salonica, a mishmash of cultures and languages under Ottoman rule - with the three major religions existing side-by-side: the Muslim ruling class, the conquered Greek Christians whose religious practices were tolerated (with limits) and Sephardic Jews who were invited by the Ottomans to resettle in Greece after their expulsion from Spain. In the 20th century, Greek reconquest and Nazi occupation essentially re-Christianized what had been a polyglot city, erasing a past that defies modern notions of multiculturalism and diversity.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Salonica, City of Ghosts.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Scott (new)

Scott And I thought you would have less time for stuff like this!

Alex Ginsberg Scott wrote: "And I thought you would have less time for stuff like this! "

Well, more time sitting around at home, I guess. But I return to work tomorrow. (Not Brooklyn courthouse work.)