Kim Smiley's Reviews > Dawn

Dawn by V.C. Andrews

Jun 17, 09

Read in June, 2009

** spoiler alert ** Very good book. I can never say I've learned anything from reading a VC Andrews book. I can only say I've been extremely and happily entertained. This book always surprised me because it had so many twists and turns in it.

Dawn lived w/ her parents and brother, (she was 14, her brother 16). They were very poor and Dawn had to share a pullout bed w/ her brother Jimmy. They moved around a lot and it was assumed by Dawn and her brother because her parents couldn't afford rent. Then her mother became pregnant, and was sickly since.

After moving yet again, Dawn's father gets a job as a maint. mgr. at a very expensive private school, where his children were permitted to attend for free. It's there that Dawn meets Philip Cutler, one of the only students who is nice to her and they form a relationship. Philip's sister Clara Sue however, isn't so nice and does everything she can to make Dawn look bad.

Dawn's mother takes a turn for the worse and dies in the hospital. It is there that her father is recognized and arrested for kidnapping. Turns out, he and his wife kidnapped Dawn when she was an infant and she must be returned to her natural parents........the Cutlers!

from there on, this book just takes off from the grandmother from hell, to dawn's existence working at the Cutler's family business; running a hotel. She meets her extremely odd natural parents, but everyone seems to be under the thumb of the evil grandmother.

If I say anymore, I will definitely ruin the book for you. But it's a very good read. I was surprised to see not many on this site liked this book, but right now, I can't wait to read the second in the series. I'm sure I'll devour it in a matter of days!
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dawn.

06/16/2009 page 242
58.17% "what a bunch of twists and turns so far. This book isn't anything like I imagined it to be; it's better!"