Mel's Reviews > Hour Game

Hour Game by David Baldacci

Jun 24, 09

bookshelves: mystery-suspense-thriller, read-2009
Read in June, 2009

I enjoyed this novel from David Baldacci. It had all the twists and turns necessary to keep me turning the pages. I had a few of the twists figured out before they were revealed, but that just tells me that Baldacci left the necessary clues for me to piece it together. Some of they "whys" took me by surprise though and I enjoyed that.

My one complaint is the lack of development of King and Maxwell, the protagonists. Sometimes I feel like in a effort the keep things a mystery we miss out on important interactions and developments in the King/Maxwell partnership. I feel Maxwell is particularly flat for the being the female lead. I wonder why King makes all the revelations and Michelle grasps everything just a few moments later than he does. Granted he has more experience, but if she is going to be serious private investigator can't she have some crime solving mojo of her own from time to time? It is like Baldacci has made her the brawn (with all the mentions of her athleticism and strength) and him the brains.

It also drives me crazy that Michelle allows Sean to keep developments in the case from her even if he claims it is for her supposed protection. I just can't imagine a true partnership succeeding without full trust between the two parties. I was hopeful we'd see a more balanced partnership between the two in this novel than we did in "Split Second" because the relationship would have evolved as they continued to work together, but I was let down on that point.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hour Game.