Jared Leonard's Reviews > The Da Vinci Code

M 50x66
Apr 06, 2007

liked it
bookshelves: fiction

Well written as far as modern novels go, but I don't see what the fuss was all about. Despite claims of legitimacy, there isn't really a whole lot of truth here; that's why it's fiction. From a purely historical standpoint the story is plausible, especially given the modern Church's lack of historical knowledge. This is basically the written equivalent of a summer popcorn action movie (and the book was more riveting than the film, this time around). Sadly, Christians don't know any better.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Da Vinci Code.

message 1: by Amy (last edited Aug 25, 2016 10:58AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Amy What made this book stand out to me was the disclaimer that Brown put at the beginning, saying that all of the facts listed in the book were researched and documented. The truth was, hardly any of them were. He even got the number of glass pieces in the glass pyramid outside the Louvre wrong. He said there were 666 and of course he ran with those implications, when there are actually around 627 or some such thing. He told the reader that he/she was reading fact, and people swallowed it whole.

message 2: by Heather (last edited Aug 25, 2016 10:58AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Heather I know, I found that appalling too. And its not just some disgruntled Christians complaining this time. Basic, undeniable facts - completely made up.

I thought the writing was blase but the story, despite innaccuracies, was thoroughly engrossing. The book was SO MUCH BETTER than the movie. And it wasn't that the movie was "good, but very different" as I say about most movies based on books. The movie stunk.