Julene's Reviews > Exquisite Heats

Exquisite Heats by Cherryl Floyd-Miller

Jun 26, 2009

bookshelves: poetry
Read in June, 2009

The first poem in Exquisite Heats, Trapeze: The Greatest Show on Earth, is an amazing four part prose poem with burnt language. Starting with the line "A day of circus." she launches into that day with sharp crisp language that pulls the reader along. I love how crisp her images are, "bicuspids making mouth wind after meat." She introduces her family that wants circus, a poor family who saved for this day, "black people with pocket change./We stagger in wide-eyed applause." "A black family from a threadbare house." She sets us up for the heats that theme through this book, making use of quotes for each section that draw the reader in deeper.

The second poem Feng Shui is a master piece about mother daughter relationship and hugs, "we've chased the idea of the hug/around straight-edged corners/in affectionate rooms."

I love this book from the get go. The beginning carried me through to the end in a clean sweep of enjoyment arousing many emotions and political sentiments. She is experimental, works with a variety of forms, and some poems are horizontal on the page. It is good to see a press working with an author to accommodate her poetry. I plan to read more of her writing.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Exquisite Heats.

message 1: by Nashira (new)

Nashira Julene's words this afternoon at the Soulfood party and in this review inspire me to get a hold of Exquisite Heats. Sounds like a book with many chewy morsels. Thanks JTW