Ed's Reviews > Diamondhead

Diamondhead by Patrick Robinson

May 04, 12

bookshelves: military-fiction-thriller, abandoned, reviewed
Recommended for: Anybody who is totally isolated and has only this book available to relieve the boredom.
Read in April, 2012

I have a hard time abandoning books before I finish them. In this case I was able to abandon "Diamondhead" after only a short time.

In the first 50 pages the author manages to trash everyone except the Navy SEALS and their counterparts, the Army Special Forces. He is particularly hard on the U.S. press and could be a stand-in for Ann Coulter if need be. He goes after the French, Al Jazeera, the Iraqi's, all U.S. politicians including the President. He sets up a hard to believe fictional situation and then uses it to undertake, the aforementioned trashing.

I didn't need to finish the book, just read the dust cover summary and about 20 pages of the book itself to know how it would turn out. The hero will prevail and be vindicated, his dying son will be miraculously saved, the evil money grubbing Frenchman will get his just desserts, the Newspapers will roll over and get behind our hero, the President will turn out to be not such a bad guy after all but all liberals in and out of Congress will refuse to be reformed and America's wonderful attempt to bring freedom and democracy to the Middle east will be justified.

There you have it. I can't call what I've written a spoiler because I only read the first 50 pages or so. Be interesting to find out if I was right or wrong but I'd have to read the book to do that, a task I have no intention of undertaking.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Diamondhead.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Amber (new)

Amber Berry Your review had me chuckling. Have you heard of the librarian Nancy Pearl's rule? Give yourself 50 pages to test out a book. If you're not engaged, stop reading. Best of all, for every decade over age 40, we get to subtract 10 pages from the 50! In any case, I'm sure everyone has some method for determining whether to continue or to give up when a book is disappointing. I find it difficult to quit reading well-rated fiction, but I'm getting to know myself better and quit wasting my time.

message 2: by Ed (new) - rated it 1 star

Ed Amber wrote: "Your review had me chuckling. Have you heard of the librarian Nancy Pearl's rule? Give yourself 50 pages to test out a book. If you're not engaged, stop reading. Best of all, for every decade over ..."

So many books so little time. I guess I only needed to read 20 pages as I am in my 70s. I like Pearl's rule and will be more discriminating in the future. This was a good lesson. I'm glad I provided you with an opportunity to chuckle.