Rach's Reviews > Confessions of a Jane Austen Addict

Confessions of a Jane Austen Addict by Laurie Viera Rigler

Nov 23, 10

bookshelves: ebook, jane-austen, 2010, challenge-10-fall
Read from October 31 to November 01, 2010

Yes, I will confess it: I love Jane Austen. But after reading this novel, I have realized that as much as I love her novels, I cannot call myself an addict. I read other things. I have never worn a regency dress. I am not a member of the Jane Austen Society of America. Not that there's anything wrong with doing any of those things, it's just not me. What I can say I am obsessed with is reading any sort of fiction that involves Jane Austen, so when I saw this book, I knew I had to pick it up.

And it was fun to read, if not deep and meaningful. I liked Courtney/Jane well enough, though I thought she got over her issues with men rather quickly and suddenly at the end. I never really saw the trust building between her and Mr. Edgeworth, but I can't say it was unexpected to see them end up in love and happy. And I will admit, I like that they ended up together, because I love happy endings. Reality and authenticity is important, but sometimes, you just want romance and fairy tales and happily-ever-afters. And despite the interjections throughout the story of what regency England was REALLY like (chamber pots, bleedings, chaperons, gossip, scandals, female subjugation), this novel rings of happiness. It's kind of funny, actually: Courtney/Jane is afraid of being alone, so she is ready to marry a horrible, cheating guy. Then, throughout the course of the book, she realizes being single is better than being trapped in a bad marriage. Then she marries her true love. So, is this a story about not getting married just to abate the loneliness of life? Sort-of. Is it about being hopeful because eventually, you'll find your Prince Charming? Sort-of that, too. But maybe I should stop reading too much in to books like this?

In the end, I enjoyed reading it, enough so that I plowed through it in one day. And I'll hit the sequel next. :) Sometimes, it's nice to have some escapist reading.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Confessions of a Jane Austen Addict.