Janet's Reviews > God Wants A Powerful People

God Wants A Powerful People by Sheri Dew

Jun 15, 2009

Read in July, 2009

This book started out kind of slow to me then got way better the more I read. I especially liked the last three chapters that deal with the powers of the restoration, the blessings of the Priesthood, and being a true follower of Christ. As a side note this book answered a nagging question about the source of a rumor in the Church. If you've heard the statement that we got to choose our parents it could be because Elder LeGrand Richards said this, "My Daddy [George Franklin Richards, formerly President of the Quorum of the Twelve:] taught me that the choice spirits of heaven might have the right to choose the lineage through which they are born...You can imagine that the chosen and choice spirits of heaven might want to know that they are coming into the lives of clean men and clean women." p. 191 in the book. I think the important word is 'might'.
Powers of the Restoration key points
From and through Joseph Smith we learn 1. The heavens are open, that God will talk to his children, 2. that God does indeed want powerful people who know how to have access to His power for the benefit of their own lives as well as those they lead and serve, 3. that God will reveal all mysteries, 4. that ultimately God will give us everything - if we qualify, 5. that because the gospel has been restored to the earth, we are not alone in this vale of tears.
The blessings of the Holy Priesthood - The entire chapter was brilliant
True Followers
1. are willing to walk away from the world
2. believes Jesus is the Christ and is striving to increase his or her faith in Him.
3. is humble enough to obey and repent.
4. is a diligent seeker.
5. desires to follow Christ.
6. has the sense that, despite imperfections and weaknesses, his or her life is in harmony with the Lord's will.
7. seeks to be more pure.
8. looks like a true follower - great discussion on modesty!!!
9. understands that some things and some places are holy.
10. is a leader, and in order to lead, must first learn to follow.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read God Wants A Powerful People.

message 1: by janet (new)

janet I will definitely have to read this. It sounds really awesome. =)