M—'s Reviews > Bridge of Birds

Bridge of Birds by Barry Hughart

Nov 26, 10

bookshelves: reviewed, journaled, z-do-not-delete

Beach Vacation Read #6: First of two indulgence purchases from local independent book shop, Downtown Books. (Minimal SFF selection, lovely shop, extraordinarily kind staff.) Will certainly be carting this back home; have a mental of list of three or four friends I must lend it to.

What do you mean only three novels of projected seven were written in this series? What do you mean this novel is the only one of the three currently in print? And the author has never written anything else? WHAT? Nooooooooooo!

Recommended to me with universal praise. Started off a bit light and gathered steam along the way. Total involvement from the conning of ghosts onward. Reminds me a bit of Robert Asprin's Myth books and Spider Robinson's Callahan books in terms of humor and interwoven story arcs, but it's less hopeless and moralistic, respectively, and I liked it a lot more than either of those. Maybe Terry Pratchett's Discworld would be a better comparison.

Am seriously considering shelling out big for an OOP hardcover omnibus collection.

Beach Vacation Reading List (November 2010)
#1 | Shutter Island
#8 | Married by Morning
#9 | The Hunger Games
#10 | All My Patients are Under the Bed
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bridge of Birds.