Creative A's Reviews > The Everafter

Feb 08, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: authors-i-ve-interviewed, books-read-in-2011
Read from January 10 to 25, 2011

This was an author I interviewed way at the beginning of last year. The book itself was a shorter and a little quieter than I had expected, but actually quite beautiful and well done. What the author did with amazing skill was develop the various antagonists and the mystery surrounding Maddy's death--I really had no idea who killed her. Was it her best friend's mother, who is slipping deeper into mental illness? Or her boyfriend's jealous ex, Dana? Or was it Tammy, the early childhood friend turned bad-girl who thinks Maddy turned her in about some drugs? That whole thing was amazingly well done.

The story had a lot of depth and spark because of it. That and the other relationships were well developed. The book started out slow, ran a little short, and I liked the ending, even though I'd hoped for more. All in all it was a nice debut and a sweet read with enough of an edge of mystery to keep you guessing. The quieter feel reminded me of "I Heart You, You Haunt Me." Glad I finally got a chance to read this.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Everafter.