Kris Larson's Reviews > The Book of Jhereg

The Book of Jhereg by Steven Brust

Jun 15, 09

bookshelves: fiction, fantasy, favorites

This contains the first three books in the Vlad Taltos series which chronicles the adventures of a young assassin for hire in one of the most original fantasy worlds I've ever encountered. This is definitely not based on medieval England, or anything I've read about. I used to read them when I was a kid and then spend the afternoon pretending to be an assassin with my own flourishing assassinary business. Now I read them and wish I was a kid so I could play it some more.

"'He wants to meet with you. [...:] He set it up for two hours past noon, tomorrow.'

'After noon?'

Kragar looked puzzled. 'That's right. After noon. That means when most people have eaten lunch, but haven't eaten supper yet. You must have come across the concept before.'

I ignored his sarcasm. 'You're missing the point,' I said, flipping a shuriken into the wall next to his ear.

'Funny, Vlad -- '

'Quiet. Now, how do you go about killing an assassin? Especially someone who's careful not to let his movements fall into any pattern?'
'Eh? You set up a meeting with him, just like the Demon is doing.'

'Right. And, of course, you do everything you can to make him suspicious, don't you?'

'Uh, maybe you do. I don't.'

'Damn right you don't!'"
3 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Book of Jhereg.