Nan's Reviews > The Forest of Hands and Teeth

Jun 15, 09

liked it
bookshelves: borrowed
Read in June, 2009

** spoiler alert ** Do you like zombie movies? Then you might like this book, but it's not guarenteed.

This novel is set after the zombie apolocalypse known as "The Return." No one in Mary's village knows what caused the dead to return to a form of life as Unconsecrated. No one knows how long ago it happened, or even if there are other people out there. The village is isolated, surrounded by fencing, in the Forest of Hands and Teeth.

In some ways, this novel read like a cross between two movies: M. Night Shymalan's The Village and 28 Days Later. The villagers in this book know what they fear--the can see the Unconsecrated pounding on the fence, moaning, and hungering for living human flesh. Their isolation and the simplicity of their lives (as well as rigid adherence to authority) is similar to Shymalan's movie. Otherwise, this feels very much like it could be called 100 Years Later.

As often happens in a zombie movie, the seemingly idyllic present is interrupted by zombies, and a group of people must flee for their lives. People die, slowly, as they follow Mary's desire to see the ocean.

It's hard for to write a review of this book without analyzing the ending in detail. I'm very mixed about it, and I'm not sure if I'm going to read the sequel. However, I've got a year to make that decision.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Forest of Hands and Teeth.

Lisa Scott What did you decide? The Dead-Tossed Waves is coming out next month!

message 2: by Nan (new) - rated it 3 stars

Nan I'll wait for the library to get a copy. I read this one last year when I could still borrow books from my store without buying them. Now that my store is closed, my book budget is smaller and the library is my friend.