Holly (2 Kids and Tired)'s Reviews > Never the Bride

Never the Bride by Rene Gutteridge

Sep 01, 09

Read in September, 2009

Whenever you read a book you go into it with preconceived ideas. Always. Whether it be from the cover, the blurb, a review or your own experiences, you always have some sort of expectation. It's great when those expectations are met and it's disappointing when they're not.

Never the Bride is a fun novel, no doubt about it. It is laugh out loud funny in places. The premise is actually thought-provoking, rather than simply being light and fluffy. Jessie Stone has always wanted to be married, but too many dating horror stories have taken their toll. When God shows up, looking like a real man, Jessie isn't quite sure what to think. But, as she allows God into her life, interesting things happen and He shows her that He is the one who is in control, if she'll only let Him lead her.

I enjoyed the explorations in the conversations Jessie has with God and I was surprised at some of the depth. I liked the thought that God is a person who loves us and knows us and wants what's best for us. Accepting Him and loving Him and accepting His love in return isn't always as easy as we think it is.

Being an "older" bride when I married, in some ways I could relate to Jessie, although I was never fixated on marriage like she was. I did like Jessie, although some of her shenanigans were annoying. What disappointed me was who God turned out to be. The idea that as Jessie looked back in hindsight, she hadn't known that at certain times when she thought she was with God, she was actually with someone else. I didn't care for that part. I think it was too confusing and it could have been done differently.

Still, the novel is entertaining and surprisingly not as light-hearted as I expected. An easy, entertaining Christian read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Never the Bride.