Beverly's Reviews > Traveling Mercies: Some Thoughts on Faith

Traveling Mercies by Anne Lamott

F 50x66
Jun 15, 09

Read in June, 2009

I am not a person comfortable with organized religion or discussions of faith and had a friend not lent me this book in a pile of other books, I might not have picked it up. But I'm very glad that I did. Anne Lamott's irreverence and humor made this a wonderfully likeable book and an enjoyable read. I could clearly relate to her as she was roughly the age I am now when she wrote the book, and the mother of a child who was just turning 8 at the end of the book - roughly the same age as my oldest daughter. One line that has stayed with me is that foregiveness means recognizing that the past will not change. I find that a helpful sentiment. So often we spend our time wishing something(s) in our lives had been different and it is only when we realize that we can't change that can we move on. I find this complementary to one of my favorite life philosophies - obtained from a Mary Chapin Carpenter song - We have two lives, one we are given, the other one we make. I guess I am a believer that we are ultimately responsible for our own happiness, and that to some degree happiness is a choice. I think this is the sum total of my deep thoughts on life, one this book helped me to think about again, and one that I hope I am passing on to my two little girls....and to whomever may read this review somewhere in cyberspace!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Traveling Mercies.