Eastofoz's Reviews > Passion Unleashed

Passion Unleashed by Larissa Ione

Jul 22, 09

bookshelves: urban-fantasy, paranormal
Recommended for: Fans of UF, Lara Adrian and Gina Showalter

A no-go 2.5 star read for me. I don’t particularly like Urban Fantasy, but I do like romance and the romance in this story had virtually zero development, hardly any emotional investment for the reader or believability when it came to the “love” between Wraith and Serena. There are a few annoying sub-stories that went on for too long detracting from the main romance that bugged me too. The writing style reminds me of a cross between Lara Adrian’s Midnight Breeds and Gina Showalter’s Lords of the Underworld.

The hero, Wraith, is infected with a disease that's killing him and the only way to survive is by taking a charm that the heroine Serena has but to get the charm he has to have sex with her and if he does she dies. And then all the monsters pop up here and there to freak everyone out spreading an 'end of the world is nigh' vibe.

The UF side of this book is well-done and the author provides a good glossary to help you understand the world she’s created so that you don’t get lost. You name the creature it’s in there. There are lots of mean, bad-ass ‘monsters’ all with their own agenda. Lots of chaos and gruesome violence, all very ‘vivid’ UF and if you look at it purely from that perspective it’s probably a good 4 stars. It’s marketed though as a paranormal romance novel which was why I read it and for me it couldn’t have fallen farther from the mark.

I didn’t like the writing because it’s too harsh and silly expressions that just don’t work are thrown in pell mell. It’s as if the author tries to be funny or uses a dry kind humor but for me it came across as dumb and this is why the writing reminded me of Gina Showalter in some ways. You often get those stereotypical dumb guy sentences like “Why didn’t you ever tell Serena you whipped up her baby batter” or “His stung pride put him on the hot side of pissed” –seems even worse out of context but the whole book is peppered with this stuff which was why the writing style just didn’t do it for me. There is also nothing new here or nothing feels new in terms of love story. The ‘romance’ happens too fast. It’s more of lust-fest that suddenly morphs into a sappy “I love you. You are my life” that I couldn’t understand being that they never really did anything apart from jump each other and run away from the bad guys.

Wraith is horribly crass, up in your face and borderline boorish. For a hot bad boy character he was a complete turn-off. Every few words is fuck this, fuck that, fuck it, fuck, fuck from pretty much everyone. It’s so overused that it loses its punch and starts to feel like a poor filler. Serena is all over the place. One minute she’s sane and normal and the next she’s all piss and vinegar mad; blows like the wind that one. Wraith is on her from the moment he meets her and she sort of likes it but then she pushes away but changes her mind and runs hot and cold. There’s no tension building. It’s as if they got it on all hot and heavy in the first 50 pages. Makes for a boring story for the remaining 350 pages. Sure there’s a lot sex and it’s quite descriptive but nothing held my interest. My mind kept wandering and I’d have to go back and reread parts. No investment in the characters. Jack-rabbits in heat 24/7 just don’t do it for me for a story. Poor character development, poor romance. The romance was almost secondary to the UF part of the story.

I think you really have to like UF to enjoy this book and the romance aspect has to be secondary or an added bonus maybe. So I didn’t like this book, but this is not a bad thing --it’s just one less popular/growing series to add to the shelves ;)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Passion Unleashed.

07/20/2009 page 80
19.51% "The writing seems to be a cross between Gena Showalter (so not a favourite of mine) and JR Ward. Hope it's more Ward (!)"
07/21/2009 page 250
60.98% "Still don't like it :-/"
07/22/2009 page 410
100.0% "Maybe it's me, but this just didn't work :-/ Glad to be done with it."

dateDown_arrow    newest »

MelissaB East - you do know this is third in the series? It's a very inter-connected series that might make more sense read in order - but I do admit this is my favorite in the series.

I think her writing is much better than Gena Showalter

Eastofoz Melissa, yeah I knew it was the third but several people say it's the best and being that the other ones didn't appeal to me all that much I started with this one but I'm getting the feeling that I'm missing a ton of info to understand things (**sigh**) This is what happens when I decide to go hog wild and do my own thing (lol!) The writing is better than Showalter but I can't really say that I like it all that much so far but it's still early. Things are happening too fast. To be continued...

Karen How's it going, East? I can see how you could be lost in this series by starting with book 3...there's so much about Wraith's character that you miss out on by not reading 1 & 2. I think this is my favorite series behind JRW. I loved all 3 books. Oh, and I can't stand Gena Showalter's LOTU series (I have to throw that out there whenever the opportunity presents itself). LOL

message 4: by Eastofoz (last edited Jul 21, 2009 12:08PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Eastofoz Karen wrote: "How's it going, East? I can see how you could be lost in this series by starting with book 3...there's so much about Wraith's character that you miss out on by not reading 1 & 2. ...Oh, and I can't stand Gena Showalter's LOTU series (I have to throw that out there whenever the opportunity presents itself). LOL"

LOL on the LOTU comment Karen :D I have the odd book like that too(Robyn Carr's "Virgin River", Lora Leigh's "Dangerous Games", Gena Showalter's "The Darkest Kiss", Lara Adrian's Midnight Breeds--lol!) :p This book isn't doing it for me. I'm on page 200 and I just want to be done with it. I don't like the writing and the sex is just too in your face. Wraith is too much.

message 5: by Auntee (new) - added it

Auntee LOL East!
I'm a bit worried now because this was supposed to be the best one of the series...I read the first one and enjoyed it though so maybe I won't mind this one as much as you did (fingers crossed).:)

Eastofoz I'm pretty sure I'm the "odd one out" with this series Auntee seeing as everyone seems to rave about it and a lot of readers say that book 3 is the best of the bunch so the odds are in your favour (lol!)

message 7: by Dina (new) - added it

Dina East wrote: "I think you really have to like UF to enjoy this book and the romance aspect has to be secondary or an added bonus maybe. So I didn’t like this book, but this is not a bad thing --it’s just one less popular/growing series to add to the shelves."

I don't like UF but I can take it if the romance part is strong and interesting. Since this is not the case here, I'm more than happy to give this series a pass and keep my WishList/TBR under control. :)

MelissaB I enjoyed all three books and thought there was a lot of romance.

Karen Sorry you didn't like this one. IKWYM about being the odd one out...I have felt that way with a couple of series. I don't care that much for UF, but I'm with Melissa...there was more than enough romance for me. :-)

Eastofoz For me the romance wasn't developed, it was just plunked down and that's why I didn't like the romance side of it.

message 11: by Laura (new)

Laura East, I'm with you. I used to read a ton of UF years ago, all the major series. But like you I need the sex and romance more fully developed, and PNR and erotica give me that. All that dashing around and fighting and kick-ass heroines in UF just leave me kinda meh. So you're not the only one who can't get into UF. I'm right there with ya, girlfriend! LOL

xoxo
Laura Stamps
Author of Erotica and Paranormal Romance Novels
http://www.LauraStamps.blogspot.com (excerpts from all of my novels)
http://laura-stamps8.livejournal.com (my naughty Author Blog/updated daily)

Eastofoz Laura wrote: "East, I'm with you. ... All that dashing around and fighting and kick-ass heroines in UF just leave me kinda meh. So you're not the only one who can't get into UF. I'm right there with ya, girlfriend! LOL
..."

Nice to know I'm not the only one (lol!) ;)