Tim's Reviews > Red

Red by Jack Ketchum

Jun 18, 09

I got this from a sister-in-law who is into horror and all that. Actually it's two works. The larger, "Red," is about wreaking justice on punks who do cruelty to animals. I'm sorry to report that, despite being mildly entertaining and easy to read, the "horror" factor is very mildly bland.AND predictable. Couple surprises, but all in all just a tale of an old guy and Justice for All Dogs.

On the other hand, the novella, "The Passenger," DOES deliver the thrills, suspense, disturbing personalities, and a fairly neat tie-up from some almost-forgotten legalistic stuff from the beginning. I would liken it to a combination of Dean Koontz's "Intensity" and the movie "From Dusk to Dawn." I won't say more save to let you know that the second work should have been the first. This guy appears to be one of Stephen King's proteges. Skipping to "The Passenger" will let you know why. SO, what might otherwise have gotten four or even five stars must get three because of the publishers' or authro's decision to put "Red" in the book. Ironic.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Red.