Lloyd's Reviews > The Ultimates, Vol. 2: Homeland Security

Jun 12, 14

bookshelves: comic-book-graphic-novel, mark-millar, 2000s
Read on June 12, 2014

Wow.

I picked this one back up, less than halfway through and had planned just to read a couple of issues worth. That didn't happen. I read the rest of it. I couldn't help it!

Millar's re-imagining of the Avengers really amps up in this volume. While the first volume of The Ultimates was pretty good but left me wanting for something, this one MORE than made up for it. From the continued references to (then) current events to nearly all of the characters practicing their own brands of bad-assery, this one is a pure thrill ride.

The sensational writing of Mark Millar and the unmistakable art of Bryan Hitch and co. grab you by all your senses and WON'T LET GO!!!

READ THIS!!!

*New thoughts upon rereading this in June 2014*

I don't know if I liked this one as much story-wise this time around. We've lost a lot of the darkness and humanness of the heroes here, but this feels like a comic book film more than it does a comic book. Maybe that was the intent.

Hitch and Co's art is still spot on. I'd never tire of looking at that.

All things considered, though: I had this at a four star rating, lowering it to a three.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Ultimates, Vol. 2.

06/14 page 1
0.5% "Starting the 2nd volume of this cool re-imagining of the Avengers."
06/15 page 77
38.5% "I think I like this volume better than the first already..."
06/12 marked as: currently-reading