Mikki's Reviews > The Gone-Away World

The Gone-Away World by Nick Harkaway

Jun 27, 09

bookshelves: books-i-would-die-for, fantasy, favorites
Recommended for: everyone who appreciates absurdity and brilliance
Read in June, 2009, read count: 1

Everything about this book is entertaining. I don't think I've ever been as entertained in my entire life. I carried this book around with me everywhere and probably embarrassed myself reading it in public places, but it's the kind of book that you never want to stop reading. The Gone-Away World has a refreshing sense of its own absurdity (because you don't spend a ridiculous amount of page space talking about an afterlife full of nymhpic, bouncing sheperdesses unless you are prepared to admit that what you are writing is not exactly Serious Literature), but it still has a solid, exhilarating plot behind it.

The best thing about this book is exploding sheep Ronnie Cheung that you can really feel Nick Harkaway's sheer delight in writing this story. Some have said it to be excessive -- he's a bit too in love with it, taking far too many tangential liberties, etc., but I think that's part of its charm. This book isn't for everyone -- you have to be with it till the end to really appreciate it.

(And what an end!)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Gone-Away World.

Quotes Mikki Liked

Nick Harkaway
“Thus Gonzo, incendiarist and leader of men.”
Nick Harkaway, The Gone-Away World

06/14/2009 page 42
7.91% "Thus far, the sentences leap of the page and tackle the funny bone :)"
06/16/2009 page 124
23.35% "Every sentence is a brilliant gem of bland (almost inadvertent) humor."
06/19/2009 page 276
51.98% "Putting this down causes almost physical pain."
06/21/2009 page 326
61.39% "It's been 300 pages of backstory and Awesome."
06/22/2009 page 492
92.66% "I'll be ridiculously sad to see the last of this book."