Wyndy's Reviews > The Princes of Ireland

The Princes of Ireland by Edward Rutherfurd

Jun 14, 09

Read in June, 2009

This is the story of Dublin, Ireland from the time of Fergus, the Irish chieftain whose farm was at the forks about 400AD to Silken Thomas in the mid 1500AD's when the English and Henry VIII started to try to govern by force. It is the story of the different generations of several families who had an influence on the people and the place. Fortunately there was a family genealogy at the beginning because several times I got confused as to who was who and related to whom. But all in all, it was an exciting book. Very informative about the times, places, and the Celtic culture which has always interested me. The characters were strongly portrayed and I could totally see where they were personally strong and weak. It was interesting how Mr. Rutherfurd kept some of the traits running throughout the generations to both the benefit and detriment of the person. I liked that the women were portrayed in more than just a servatile position. They were strong or weak as needed in order to impact their generation but they did have an impact and that's what is important. He seems to be more inclined to have physical characteristics handed down through the generations though rather than some of the strong character traits. The middle chapters didn't seem to develop the characters as much as the first and last but were good reads if not totally enthralling. He definitely left the story hanging in order to promote the sequel. It is a good book but not as good as his London or Sarum. 3 stars.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Princes of Ireland.