Jay's Reviews > Envy

Envy by Anna Godbersen

2419499
Aug 03, 09

bookshelves: books-i-own, historical-distant, tab-a-in-slot-b, tampon-theatre
Read in August, 2009

The third novel in The Luxe series fell a little short at the beginning. Transporting the main characters and then some to Florida didn't particularly work, and the initial storyline could have worked just as easily back in New York. In saying that, though, it was good to see the characters in a different setting, but once again, it felt a little forced.

Once the Schoonmaker party et al returns back to the confines of the city, the story does pick up. Lina/Carolina does become much more sympathetic in this novel, and in turn, Penelope becomes much more hateful. I enjoyed seeing Carolina face the prospect of being in a much worse position than serving in the Holland household, and, in a way, I am looking forward to seeing her perhaps finally become happy. Also, while I was initially a fan of Penelope, I'm unsure whether I hate her or love-to-hate her. I did laugh at her tantrum at the end of the novel, and some of my liking for her returned.

As for the Holland sisters, my wavering apathy for Elizabeth continues. Her situation at the end of the novel was curious, but I am a fan of the person she ends up with. I also give kudos to Godbersen for a certain part of the novel, and for daring to go there. As for the younger Holland sister, I still like the way Diana continues to be the romantic, typical sixteen-year-old girl, and her romance with Henry still amuses me, but I wish it wasn't depicted in the true love style that I know Godbersen is aiming for.

Overall, I am looking forward to Splendor, despite losing a little bit of interest at the start of the novel. I've never believed Goderbsen to be a fantastic writer, and I think she knows she isn't as well, which is a breath of fresh air.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Envy.

07/31/2009 page 39