Shanshad Whelan's Reviews > Monstrous Regiment

Monstrous Regiment by Terry Pratchett

May 23, 11

bookshelves: books-i-own, fantasy, humor-satire, series
Read in May, 2011, read count: 4

** spoiler alert ** Much as I'd like to love this book, I just can't say it's one of my favorites. It's still Pratchett, which means it's still super good compared with a lot of other things,but compared with other Pratchett, this one never quite makes it for me. Perhaps in part because I don't completely like some of the characters and there's less of Pratchett's usually humor and heart here. He's a little more pointed in his observations, and much more bloody.

There are a few points that left me puzzled, especially at the end: a big one is that Polly, our main protagonist, knows how bad the working girls school is. She's heard how awful it is, yet she doesn't try and right this wrong? That's difficult for me to swallow, seeing how she's become such a confident individual. Admittedly the place does burn to the ground, but I'm surprised she doesn't request the military offices "look into" the place and get some reprisals for the injustices.

Still good, still enjoyable, but not up to par with my favorites by this author.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Monstrous Regiment.