Jackie's Reviews > Honor Lost: Love And Death In Modern Day Jordan

Honor Lost by Norma Khouri

Jun 16, 2009

bookshelves: adult-non-fiction, friday-night-book-club, memoir, violence
Read in June, 2009

After posting my review, I've read about this author as presenting the story as factual, when in reality it is fiction. As a work of fiction, it would still be an intense and riveting novel, but when presented by the author as factual (and subsequently found to be fiction), it leaves a bad taste in one's mouth. It is hard for me to figure out the author's intentions; controversy, sensationalism, profit? I am leaving my review as originally written, but with a caveat at the beginning, that is: I believed it to be a work of non-ficiton.

Honor Lost: Love and Death in Modern-Day Jordan is a story dedicated to a murdered friend; a soul-sister, whose only crime was to love a decent, respectful man. Dalia, a Muslim, fell hopelessly in love with Michael, a Catholic in Jordan's Royal Army. Dalia's beloved friend, Norma, helped the two of them to meet and talk, while their love story grew. Their plans of marriage, committment, and a happy family-life were cut short by Dalia's father's thirst for revenge as her 'honor' was violated by these innocent meetings.

These ancient, barbaric rules are hard for Western society to imagine and even more so, difficult for us to believe they still take place today, and yet, they do. Norma's promise in death to Dalia was to tell her story to the world and to avenge a death that was utterly inconceivable and wrong. While their story is not new or unheard of, it is poignant and told with compassionate familial memories. Ultimately, we are, as human beings, compelled by the bonds of decency and ethical treatment which implore us to be united against this savagery. It is this reader's hope that Norma has found some peace and freedom from the nightmares that consumed her nights in the days that followed Dalia's tragic fate.
2 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Honor Lost.