Kricket's Reviews > Evolution, Me and Other Freaks of Nature

Evolution, Me and Other Freaks of Nature by Robin Brande

Mar 21, 08

bookshelves: audio, 2008, religious-searching, teen-fiction, parent-woes
Read in March, 2008

The curtain opens on our fair heroine, Mena, as she begins her first day at a public high school. She once had many a chum at her church’s youth group, but she has been ousted due to an un-foreclosed scandal, and now they slam her into the wall as they pass merrily by, filled with the love of Christ. (I went to a parochial high school so I’m allowed to say things like that.) The only bright spot in Mena’s day is biology class, where Ms. Shepherd reigns with scientific brilliance and her lab partner, Casey, is the best kind of geek (ie cute). But when Ms. Shepherd begins the unit on evolution, the Youth Group causes a ruckus and Mena is torn between how she’s been raised and what she knows to be true.

The best thing about this book is watching Mena…well, evolve. (I get symbolism!) Religious people may feel troubled by the way 97% of the Christians in this book are portrayed…but I have an eerie feeling that Brande researched these characters in my hometown and needed no embellishment. I shall say no more.

Except that I listened to the audio version of this book and thought it was really really well done.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Evolution, Me and Other Freaks of Nature.