Tanja's Reviews > The Actor and the Housewife

The Actor and the Housewife by Shannon Hale

Jun 14, 09

My dear Shannon, what have you done. I will be honest and say I am surprised a book like this came from her. I enjoy her writing style and her quick wit in all her books, but in the A&H I found myself laughing out loud. Is it a romance you might ask, no. Not in the traditional sense. It is a story of friendship. How do friends fit into our lives and how do we survive without the friend we need the most? Have you ever met that person who just knew you? You could stay up and laugh with them over the most ridiculous topics? I have had these friends. Their roles change as life changes and likewise in the book the different "friends" grow and change.
The characters in this book were so tangible to me I feel as though they must be real. I guess I found myself in these characters and found that my response to situations would be similar to theirs. I enjoy reading, but I felt like this was an opening into someone else's life and I was lucky enough to be apart of it. Shannon did brave the topic of the mormon culture. This is always a hot button in books. Do I think people will be upset by her take on religion or the questions raised in the book? Absolutely. They will think she has some alterior motive. They will think she was not "real" with the characters. They will think that she made them too moral, too loose, too bland, or too perfect. How do you win with that? Poor writers and all the crap you have to put up with.
I think it was a beautiful novel and I was lucky enough to go to a reading of this book and she is a lovely person herself. So I would say read this book, but if you hate it don't tell me.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Actor and the Housewife.

message 1: by Suzette (new)

Suzette I swear, Tanja, I can totally hear your voice in your writing. I will have to read this one, for sure.

Melanie Atkinson I felt the same way, and I wasn't expecting to. I love your review! Perfectly put.