Melody's Reviews > The Help

The Help by Kathryn Stockett

Dec 03, 09

bookshelves: second-monday-bookgroup, fiction, audiobook, about-the-south
Read in November, 2009

Craig and I listened to this audio book on our trip to North Georgia for my birthday. Every time we had to make the trek from the cabin into town we’d pop in a disc. The story was mesmerizing and the readers did an excellent job with their characters. Craig grew up in Jackson during the 60s and enjoyed all the personal references to people and places that he remembered. He found a couple of errors in her reporting (she mentioned an elementary school where Minny’s son attended – it was the elementary Craig attended and was all white in the 60s; she mentioned someone humming “Love Me Do” a Beatles’ song that was not released in America until 1964 – and the year in the book was 1962 – which was the year the song came out – but only the savviest Americans would have heard about it since it was only available in the UK; she mentioned the “Jewish Country Club” which in fact was not the Jackson Jewish country club – because it was the one his parents belonged to). However, despite the factual scrutiny that Craig gave the story (and there were many tiny, Jackson in the 60s details that she DID get right) we both enjoyed this novel which was a coming of age story of a white, young, aspiring writer and a black, middle-aged maid who was never given the possibility of perusing her dreams. Highly recommend it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Help.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Koko Someone gave me a copy of this today and she totally loved this book! If you want to borrow it for the wkend, let me know.

Melody I saw it reviewed in Thicket and thought it looked interesting. I haven't talked to anyone I know who has read it - so I'll be anxious to see what you think.

I'm in the middle of the Egyptologist with Proust's Swann's Way on hold at the library so I wouldn't be able to read it this weekend. But thanks for thinking of me!

Gail This is the book for my January book club -- it's SO darn popular the library doesn't even have a copy in stock! Sounds great!

Melody We just REALLY enjoyed it. My husband and I have never listened to a book on tape together - so that was a new experience too. I had the copy at our library on hold FOREVER. I wish I had bought a copy. I would send it to you.

I missed our book group discussion. I understand the hostess wore the apron that her grandmother wore when she worked as a maid for "her" white family. Sabrina, if you're reading this I just REALLY hate I missed that meeting.