booklady's Reviews > A History of Britain: At the Edge of the World? 3500 BC-AD 1603

A History of Britain by Simon Schama

Jun 14, 2009

liked it
bookshelves: 2007, 2008, 2009, biography, history, war, worth-reading-over-and-over

One of my (ahem!) many reference books on Great Britian. Usually I like how Schama manages to cover the history of the Isles with a bit of humor, almost an outsider's detachment and include exceptional photography. Although it's not as thorough as some histories, A History of Britain At the Edge of the World, 3500 B.C.-1603 A.D is therefore more readable than others. Still, since it does 'read like a story', it also tends to make for a poor reference book. Time after time when I've pulled it off the shelf to look something up, it's not there.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A History of Britain.

Comments <span class="mediumText">(showing 1-4)</span>

dateUp arrow    newest »

message 4: by Don Incognito (new)

Don Incognito Then what would you recommend instead?

booklady Sadly, I haven't found a single volume, readable ancient history. Perhaps it hasn't been written yet. But I'm still looking...

message 2: by Don Incognito (new)

Don Incognito What do you think of Winston Churchill's History of the English-Speaking Peoples? I added it to my B-list.

booklady I like it. It's been years since I read it but I remember finding it very readable and helpful. Not exhaustive by any means, but still a favorite ... perhaps because of the author.