Jean's Reviews > The Magician's Elephant

The Magician's Elephant by Kate DiCamillo

Jun 14, 2009

liked it
Read in June, 2009

I will probably re-read this when it comes out to see how the illustrations enhance the text. DiCamillo's view of the darkness of the world and how it can be saved by asking "what if?" and "why not" may not be everyone's cup of tea. I wasn't as enthralled by it as I was by Despereaux, but it isn't too bad. I can see that some kids will really like it. Especially those kids who are dissatisfied with their lives and feel there is something more out there for them. For Peter Duchene it is the hope that his sister is still alive. For the magician, it is the hope that he can do a magic trick more fabulous than anyone has ever seen. For Leo Matienne, it is the possibility of having children in his life.
All of these characters (and more) find their lives intersecting and eventually intertwining in a sort of magical realism moment that creates a satisfying ending. I saw the ending coming and I has happy that it ended the way I thought it should.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Magician's Elephant.