Mohammed's Reviews > Don Rodriguez: Chronicles of Shadow Valley

Don Rodriguez by Lord Dunsany

Jun 26, 12

bookshelves: historical-fiction, fantasy, classics
Read from June 24 to 26, 2012

This was a different story compared to everything else I read by Lord Dunsany. The prose was at times brilliant, beautiful use of words, language but the story was very simple about the adventures of the young naive Knight Rodriguez whose quest in the story is looking for romantic wars,glory and to win castle in Golden age Spain. It was clear to see what the writer thought about the knight and his chivalrous ways. I have come to expect more subtle meaning than that from this legendary writer. The storytelling was uneven because I wasn't really interested for many of the early chapters. The last chapters story wise was much better.

His prose style and his way with words was more interesting than the actual story. Thats is why I still enjoyed reading this novel. Even a minor work by a master like Lord Dunsany is very enjoyable if you like great style.

I would not recommend this novel to new readers since there are better novels, short stories for that. This more for completist admirers like me.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Don Rodriguez.

06/17/2012 page 14
7.0% "I thought for a second i was reading Shakespeare sonette in the first few pages with old language prose style. Always a pleasure to read his style but it will take longer than a 500 pages book. You have taste his prose slowly to enjoy it fully."
06/21/2012 page 44
23.0% "Looks like Simon was correct this novel is lacking so far the usual magical story,imagination that did natural for Lord Dunsany. The story seems too simple for the writer."

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Simon Interesting that you shared my views on this novel and it wasn't me just being in the wrong mood or something.

message 2: by Mohammed (last edited Jun 27, 2012 04:53AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Mohammed Simon wrote: "Interesting that you shared my views on this novel and it wasn't me just being in the wrong mood or something."

It was only natural that we agree n this book because we have read Lord Dunsany's finest novel so far for us and his usually great short stories. We expect better than good.