Dina's Reviews > The Warlord Wants Forever

1918270
Feb 11, 12

bookshelves: paranormal-romance, series-immortals-after-dark
Read in October, 2009

The Warlord Wants Forever is the short story that introduces the Immortal After Dark series...

From Kresley Cole's website:

Nikolai Wroth, once a ruthless human warlord in the 1700s and now a general in the rebel vampire army, needs to find his Bride, the one woman who can render him truly alive. As a turned human, he doesn’t enjoy a heartbeat or breaths and is consequently weaker than fully blooded vampires. He wants his Bride for the power she will bring him and can hardly believe it when his heart beats for Myst the Coveted, a mad, fey, mythological creature.

Myst is known throughout the world as the most beautiful Valkyrie, part chillingly fierce warrior, part beguiling seductress who can “make you want her even as she’s killing you.” She has devoted her life to protecting an ancient, powerful jewel and to fighting the vampires, and she now sees a way to torment one—for with Wroth’s heartbeat comes consuming sexual desire that can only be slaked by her.

She eludes him for five years, but he has finally chased her to ground and stolen the jewel which commands her, giving him absolute power over her. While he possesses it, he can make her do anything, and he plans to in order for her to experience first hand the agonizing, unending lust she’d purposely subjected him to for half a decade. Yet when Wroth realizes he wants more from her and frees her, will she come back to him?

As the introduction to the IAD series, this story did its job. I wasn't wowed by it but I'm interested enough to give the next book a try. The PNR world created by Ms. Cole is unique - at least, to me - with its mixture of all kinds of PNR beings. I mean, I'm used to series being about one kind of PNR being - vampires, shapeshifters, psychics, or whatever - but it looks like the IAD series has them all "mixing and matching", and this should be fun.

I had to struggle a bit in the 1st half of story, because Wroth and Myst weren't exactly likable. He started out being somewhat cold and unemotional and then turned into an obsessive domineering "master", ugh. As for Myst, she just seemed to be too ditzy and slutty for my taste. Okay, the sexual tension between them was sizzling hot and their love scenes got me "hot and bothered", but I couldn't help feeling uncomfortable when he took her free will away from her. Every time he commanded her to do something against her will, I cringed a little because I'm not into D/s and there was definitely a D/s vibe there. Thankfully, Wroth came to his senses in the end and Myst had more depth in her than she'd led me to believe, and I ended up liking both of them.

The following books in this series are supposed to be better than this one, so I'm off to reading A Hunger Like No Other. We shall see how I like it...

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Warlord Wants Forever.

10/05/2009 page 1
0.61% "Do I need to get hooked on another series?" 10 comments
10/05/2009 page 160
98.16% "Wow, this story's steamier than I expected!"

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

Nice review, Dina! I read this a couple months back and really didn't care for it... Not sure what it was, but nothing really worked for me. I'll be really interested to see your take on the next in the series. Everyone seems to love this series so I almost want to give it another shot... but I'm not there yet. LOL

Dina Thanks, audball! What didn't work for me in this story was the D/s vibe: I didn't like seeing Wroth manipulating Myst like that.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

Dina wrote: "I'll keep you posted on A Hunger Like No Other. You know, if I like it, you'll have to read it. :) "

LOL. Tis true, tis true.

message 4: by Angelc (new)

Angelc Great review, Dina! Ouch, I don't think this one is for me...commanding her? yuck

message 5: by Beanbag (new)

Beanbag Love Great review, Dina. I've been meaning to start this series. I'll keep your comments in mind so I can get through the domineering parts. Knowing that he comes to his sense in the end will help me get through those, I think. :D

Dina Thanks, Angelc and Beanbag! Wroth's D/s wasn't my cuppa either. If it's any consolation, Myst was a strong b!tch and had no problem taking it, LOL.

Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads) I guess that's why it didn't bother me that much. She played a really dirty trick on him. I thought it was tit for tat in a way.

Dina Yes, I see your point, Danielle. Myst had it coming after the stunt she'd pulled on Wroth. That didn't make their relationship a "healthy" one, though. ;)

message 9: by K. (new)

K. Great review D.! I think I can successfully skip this one and read AHLNO (which I already have). I think I'll look up a few more spoilers from this one (maybe a skim of it's contents on line), and not have any trouble. From your review (which was pretty thorough - thanks!), it doesn't really sound like my cuppa either (especially the D/s issues).

Thanks again for the informative review. :)
K.

message 10: by Tammy (new)

Tammy Fantastic review D!

Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads) Definitely not a healthy relationship. But in this universe, you have major animosity between the vamps and the valkyries, so that's part of the tension in that Myst is programmed to hate Nikolai because he's a vampire, although he's a good vampire and not one of the Horde. But he's programmed to do anything to get and keep his Bride. I'm not into a lot of that sort of BDSM erotic stuff, but I give this series a pass because it doesn't get objectionable for me personally. I should warn you that the D/s is a recurrent theme in this series. It's not always the hero who's the D either. It flip-flops. I don't want to scare you off, but you will see this pop up again.

message 12: by Dina (new) - rated it 3 stars

Dina Thanks, K. and Tammy! :)

K., you'll probably be OK skipping this story. From what I've gathered, most fans of the IAD series did the same and they were fine with it. I decided to read it anyway because my OCD didn't give me a break this time, LOL.

message 13: by Dina (new) - rated it 3 stars

Dina Danielle "The Book Huntress" wrote: "I should warn you that the D/s is a recurrent theme in this series. It's not always the hero who's the D either. It flip-flops. I don't want to scare you off, but you will see this pop up again."

Eeek, thanks for the warning, Danielle! Forewarned is forewarmed. We shall see how the next book works for me...

Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads) K if you can read erotica I think you can handle this story. JMO.

message 15: by new_user (new)

new_user Yeah, I thought it was tit for tat too, Danielle. :)

message 16: by K. (new)

K. I do read erotica Danielle (as I'm sure you've noticed), but I really only like traditional "romantica" defined erotica. And BDSM-type stuff kind of squicks me out! I don't even care for "light spanking," and the thought of being tied up and bossed around freaks me out -- I'm a total control freak! LOL!:D I can generally ignore it or skip it if it's just a scene but not a theme throughout. Although I like sexier or more graphic descriptives in my books, I'm VERY vanilla in my sex! LOL! Since you mentioned that D/s is a recurring theme for Cole in this series . . . I guess I will find out just HOW D/s it is and whether it's to a degree that takes the shine off the romance for me. I do have AHLNO already, so I'll "test" it on that one. :)
K.

message 17: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads) (last edited Oct 06, 2009 05:27PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads) I am very much a vanilla sex reader. I don't like much outside of that (which my GR friends can probably attest to). I just barely tolerated the BDSM scenes in Lover Unbound, and this book didn't bother me. So I think I probably am a good litmus for this series as far as D/s. There are some sexual politics issues that this series gets into: aggressive males, aggressive females, hot sexual tension type stuff. It's fairly mild, although I don't judge anyone if it's not to their taste. I guess I didn't want you to be squeamish about these books. Believe me, I am as squeamish as you can get about sexual content. Personally I didn't really feel bad for Myst because she had done a lot of dirt to males in the past, although what Nikolai did may not have been ethical, she's not an innocent victim and she was very attracted to him from the beginning. Again, this is all my opinion. I guess New User was okay with it too. But everyone is different. I'm going to shut up now.

message 18: by K. (new)

K. Danielle: Yup! I already knew that about you too (since our Ami board convos :). It's funny, but I had even thought about the BDSM in LU while I was writing my post (little bit of psychic connection between us there! ;), because I just read it about a week ago, and that's one of the reasons I'm not too enamoured with that book. Like you, I don't "judge" either as I think it's just a personal fantasy/taste type sexual activity (within boundaries), but just not for me. As far as graphic descriptives generally, I think I like more than you do though overall (a few more sex scenes in my books are okay), but that said, I do enjoy more mainstream romance novels a lot as well. I think we are pretty compatible on our book choices for the most part Danielle, and I trust your opinions on this series. If you enjoyed it, it probably will turn out fine for me as well. Thanks again (and no . . . don't ever shut-up! It's the only way we can all assess what is the best book for each of us - by comparing the details). :)

message 19: by Fani (new) - rated it 4 stars

Fani Great review Dina! Nicolai appears in many books in the series: He plays a role in AHLNO and is the brother of the hero in #3, #5 and one more which I don't remember, so you'll be glad you read that in the end. I went straight to AHLNO and didn't get confused or anything, but I now consider going back for that one.

Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads) Thanks, K. I just didn't want to hijack Dina's thread and be disrespectful to anyone blabbing off my mouth.

message 21: by Dina (new) - rated it 3 stars

Dina Fani wrote: "Great review Dina! Nicolai appears in many books in the series: He plays a role in AHLNO and is the brother of the hero in #3, #5 and one more which I don't remember, so you'll be glad you read tha..."

Thanks, Fani! I'm 1/3 through AHLNO and Nikolai hasn't shown up yet, but Emma's aunts have and I'm glad I read TWWF 1st and know who's who because these Valkyries are a bit overwhelming.

message 22: by Dina (new) - rated it 3 stars

Dina Danielle "The Book Huntress" wrote: "Thanks, K. I just didn't want to hijack Dina's thread and be disrespectful to anyone blabbing off my mouth."

Hey, Danielle, no worries! You weren't "hijacking" anything, your comments (and everyone else's, for that matter) were a natural consequence of the subject (D/s) being discussed. ;)

message 24: by Rane (new) - added it

Rane Awesome Review Dina *kicks both leads in the head* Ah nothing I dislike more then alpha male master type hero without a cause and the slutty female TSTL

message 25: by Dina (new) - rated it 3 stars

Dina Thanks, Rane! Knowing a bit about your reading taste, I can safely say this book isn't for you.