Megan's Reviews > The Sense and Sensibility Screenplay and Diaries: Bringing Jane Austen's Novel to Film

The Sense and Sensibility Screenplay and Diaries by Emma Thompson

Jun 14, 2009

bookshelves: all-time-favorite, non-fiction
Recommended for: Austen lovers
Read in June, 2009 — I own a copy , read count: 1

For some strange reason this book has been sitting on my shelf gathering dust for ages. It wasn't until the other day when I was looking for my copy of the film Sense & Sensibility, that I remembered I had this companion book.

I have probably seen the movie well over a dozen times or more, and think it's the best film adaptation of any of Jane Austen's books (yes this even trumps the 6 hour BBC Pride & Prejudice). My bias therefore being known...

I loved every blistering, bodice ripping page!

The book consists of the original screenplay, as well as journal entries kept by actress and screenwriter Emma Thompson during the filming. Thompson won a Golden Globe for best adapted screenplay, and the film itself went on to win the coveted Best Film award. Those who are familiar with the movie will be delighted to find cut scenes and additional dialogue to supplement the film, as well as candid behind-the-scenes commentary from the always hilarious (and sometimes bawdy) Thompson. Did I mention all the gorgeous photos and references to filming locations?

The only thing better than reading this delightful script, is reading the original novel by Jane Austen herself.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Sense and Sensibility Screenplay and Diaries.

06/14/2009 page 25