Catherine Mustread's Reviews > The Little Stranger

Oct 14, 14

bookshelves: historical, mystery, award, 1940s, british, fiction
Recommended to Catherine by: Melissa K (Telegraph); 1morechapter.com 091009
Read from June 07 to 28, 2011

Spooky gothic mystery set in post WW2 England on a dilapidated country estate. Although this was a 2009 Man Booker Nominee and a Goodreads Choice Award for Fiction Mystery/Thriller, I did not like it – finding it too repetitive, the Dr. (narrator) was not overly sympathetic and the ending was predictable.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Little Stranger.

06/09/2011 page 69
15.0% "Love match developing between British country Dr. after WW2 and daughter of a struggling "big house" family trying to maintain their crumbling home."
06/14/2011 page 170
36.0% "Now I'm remembering why I don't much like gothic horror -- too creepily suspenseful. Good storyline although I was wrong so far about the love match. My sympathy is with the Dr., who diagnoses the son, a WW2 veteran, as mentally ill when he describes the apparent horror in the crumbling house. I'll finish this but won't rush unless it's to get it over and done."
06/24/2011 page 389
83.0% "Thoroughly tired of this and irritated by the constant rehashing of horrors and odd happenings. Love has developed but as a minor theme. I'll finish but won't add any more books by Waters to my TBR list."