Lindig's Reviews > The Past Through Tomorrow

The Past Through Tomorrow by Robert A. Heinlein

2047825
Jun 13, 09

bookshelves: sf

Spider Robinson be damned, RAH is a closet misogynist and male chauvinist pig, and his later stuff doesn't change that.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Past Through Tomorrow.

message 1: by Jim (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jim Syler Um....I don't see how you get that. Yes, he loves strong women. Yes, he's got a particular take on women that not everyone agrees with (see Friday). But to say he's a misogynist!

Lindig Well, there's lots of info all over the web discussing his misogyny, some agree with me and some with you. As to his "strong" women, he allows them to seem strong until they get hooked up with one of his manly men and then they start saying "yes, dear." And he allows them to be treated like bratty children (getting spanked, for instance). And he makes it perfectly clear that women's primary function is child-making. He's a good example of the type of misogynist who says how much smarter women are, how strong women are, how civilized women are, etc etc, how we (men) need to protect and cherish these fabulous creatures, and therefore we (men) can't possibly be misogynists. Now get in the kitchen and make me a sammich, and then get naked. All that said, I acknowledge his leading place in SF history and his breaking of several barriers in SF writing, and a few of his books are still fun to read, but I don't have any illusions about him.

message 3: by Jim (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jim Syler Okay, I've always understood 'misogynist' to mean 'woman-hater.' I simply don't see how Heinlein can possibly be construed to be that, in any way. Sexist? Well, you make several persuasive arguments above that he could be considered sexist. I'm not sure I agree, myself, but I cannot deny that a case can be made. But misogynist????