Alethea A's Reviews > Strange Angels

Strange Angels by Lili St. Crow

Apr 23, 11

bookshelves: zombies, vampires, too-short, series, sci-fi-fantasy, paranormal, ghosts, shapeshifters, fiction, boys-and-girls
Recommended for: Buffy fans, but not if you're looking for big smoochies--there are none.
Read in June, 2009, read count: 1

http://bit.ly/rnslDru1 << Kimberly's review on RNSL

Hoping this will wash the rotting flavor of Forest of Hands and Teeth from my (reading) lips...

Ok! That worked.

Dru is likeable enough, though she's no cuddly-wuddly protag. She's deadly with a knife and though a little nervous around guns (usually her dad's the gunslinger) she knows what she's doing, in theory. Yet she's not 100% standoffish and anti-social (as Mary is in FoHaT). She seems to react realistically to things like kindness, threats, and impending doom; juxtapose that with the totally unreal elements of the story: werwulfen, wampyr, and a brief, if traumatizing zombie encounter (don't be put off by the "spoiler" on the back--it's her dad, and that's important, but it's not the main linchpin of the story.)

If your eyes are a little tired of staring at blindingly beautiful vampire guys, it's ok. We've got one, but lucky for me Dru will only occasionally admit he's "very pretty" and not spend paragraphs dwelling on how cute he is.

Of course, there's got to be another guy. And I'm happy he's not quite cute yet either, he's got some growing up ahead, and may need a bath and/or a new 'do. The scraggly goth-locks are pretty gross-sounding.

All this lack of romance leaves us free to focus on Dru and getting the f* away from whatever is hunting her.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Strange Angels.

06/18/2009 page 231
78.84% "Thank you, a heroine with a zit, and a love-interest who's not quite that cute yet. Phew. Someone with an imagination."